Saturday, November 12, 2011

Grilled Cheese Two Ways

Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich? I’ve been eating them ever since I was a little kid, like most people have, and the fact that they’re so trendy and popular right now makes my former five-year-old self exceedingly happy. I’ve tried two recent variations that I just have to share with you. 


I wish I could remember how I thought of the idea to crust a grilled cheese sandwich in pretzel crumbs, but I can’t. One day I just did it, and it was delicious. Butter your bread slices just like you normally would, but before you put the slices in the pan, dip each buttered side in finely crushed pretzel crumbs. The pretzels add this delicious, salty-crunchy element to the bread that works perfectly with the melted cheese.


The second version is one I saw on The College Culinarian, and I thought it was brilliant. I tried Katie’s egg-in-a-hole grilled cheese the very next weekend, and it was just amazing as I thought it’d be. Use a glass to cut a circle out of one piece of bread, butter both pieces, and put them both buttered-side-down in a skillet. Top one slice with cheese, and crack an egg into the hole-y slice. Add salt and pepper and cook until the egg white isn’t runny. Then put the two slices together and voila! It’s grilled cheese/gooey egg perfection.


Although my very favorite grilled cheese is the no-frills, white-bread-and-American-cheese variety, both of these versions are amazing, and you should definitely try them!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm so glad you liked the egg-in-a-hole grilled cheese! It's a no-fail meal! I definitely want to try your pretzel crumb idea soon.