Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese


Raise your hand if you’re hosting Thanksgiving this year. Those of you that are: WOW, is all I can say. Hosting Thanksgiving is something I’ve never done (at least not yet), and it is something that strikes fear into my heart at the same time that it makes the planner and cook in me extremely excited. So, if you’re hosting: Good luck, and also, I’m totally jealous of you.

Every year I make sweet potato casserole and cranberry butter for our Thanksgiving dinner with Joe’s family. For my family’s dinner (which we don’t get to until dessert), I make a couple of pies. (I think I’m doing pecan and maple cream this year, but I haven’t finalized that yet.) This year, I’ll be making a third contribution to our dinner with Joe’s family: this incredible macaroni and cheese.

Do you have a go-to mac and cheese recipe? Mine has always been Betty Crocker’s version (posted here; please ignore the photo), but this buttermilk-based version has officially replaced it. My whole family loved this mac and cheese so much that we all had seconds (and Joe had thirds). Thankfully, this recipe makes enough to feed an army, so there were plenty of leftovers to send for lunch with the boys (as Andrew requested: “Can I have this tomorrow for lunch? It’s DEWICIOUS!”). I loved the tang from the buttermilk, and the eggs in the recipe (there are six of them!) made it so rich and gave it such a wonderful, custard-like texture. If you like custardy mac and cheeses, this recipe is definitely for you. It’s creamy, cheesy, tangy perfection, and definitely worthy of gracing your Thanksgiving table – or ANY table!

Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from Taste of Home

6 eggs
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded colby cheese
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions and drained

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the cheese, buttermilk, butter, salt and pepper. Add macaroni; toss to coat.

3. Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the middle comes out clean.

6 comments:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I can't imagine eggs in mac and cheese but I trust your judgment so I'll give it a whirl. :)

Melissa @ Rooms said...

Whoa, that cranberry butter sounds amazing! I just might have to try that:)

Debbie said...

This recipe is reminding me of Paula Deen!!! Buttermilk and eggs! Sounds delicious!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I made this last night. It was good (and SP went back for seconds) but it had an odd consistency like cottage cheese. I'm wondering if my eggs separated or something like that. It was good but not cream like I envisioned it would be.

Cassie said...

Hey Sarah -- That's how mine was too. I think it was the buttermilk reacting with the eggs, making it more custardy-ish. It reminded me of the mac and cheese at the BBQ restaurant Hoggy's, which is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Cool your pasta off with cold water before mixing in eggs. Hot pasta will scramble eggs