Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Deviled Egg Pasta Salad

I love deviled eggs. I love them SO MUCH. Whenever I go to a gathering where deviled eggs are served, you can bet I’ll be eating at least three. But if I’m being completely honest, usually it’s more like four or five.

But deviled eggs are so fussy to make, aren’t they? First of all, I totally suck at peeling hard-boiled eggs -- yes, yes, even if I run them under cold water and let them completely cool. I never seem to be able to peel the white part perfectly neatly from the shell. Second, it just seems like a whole lot of work -- peeling the eggs, halving them, taking out the yolks, mixing the yolks with various other ingredients, stuffing the yolks back in the eggs...I just don’t have time for that.

So this pasta salad is my compromise. It tastes like a deconstructed deviled egg, with the yummy addition of pasta. There’s nothing not to love about this!

Deviled Egg Pasta Salad

1 pound elbow macaroni
3 cups Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1/4 to 1/2 cup dill pickle relish (depending on how pickle-y you like it)
Paprika

1. Cook pasta according to directions on box; drain. Rinse in cold water and drain again.


2. While pasta is cooking, whisk together Miracle Whip, mustard, vinegar, and salt and pepper.

3. Gently fold pasta, eggs, and relish into the sauce. Taste for seasoning; re-season as necessary. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate until serving (it’s best the next day).

15 comments:

Kat said...

This looks AWESOME! I love deviled eggs as well, but haven't had them in a while! My daddy inhales those things, and I bet he would do the same with this dish!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen said...

Wow...this dish is right up my alley! YUM!! I'm bookmarking it to make...will be perfect for get togethers this summer. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

I'll have to show this recipe to my husband...he is just like you when it comes to deviled eggs. He loves them but yet strangely enough he doesn't like eggs any other way!!!!

Katie said...

This is similiar to the recipe my Grandma used. She would only add the whites to the actual salad and then she would mash up the yellows and sprinkle them on top. She also didn't use the relish, instead she would get sweet pickles and dice them pretty fine. Instead of the vinegar she would use the pickle juice. Memories, with this weekend being a holiday it makes me miss her and her dishes even more.

Monica H said...

mmm, who doesn't love a deviled egg? love them! I've never been a pasta salad type person but this makes me want to try this ASAP!

Deborah said...

This recipe sounds like pure genius to me!!

Anonymous said...

I had trouble peeling eggs too, but heres the secret my grandma showed me. dont let them cool all the way! peel them as soon as they are cool enough to touch! :)

about to try your recipe! thanks! :)

Cristine said...

Made this last night and LOVED it! Thanks for a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME recipe!! I know it tastes better if it's left overnight, but there's no hope of me leaving it alone until tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered you today! I'm newly married and can not wait to knock my husbands socks off with these recipes!

Anonymous said...

This is pretty much exactly my mom's recipe. She uses miracle whip and it's so good!

Anonymous said...

I make this all the time. It is a big hit at potlucks.

april said...

Making this today but I very much dislike the eye sore of paprika. I will top with chopped dill instead. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

3 cups Miracle Whip/Mayo? Is this correct? Just seems like a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

After trying several recipes for macaroni salad, this is the only one I now make. I use half mayo and half Miracle Whip though. I also add some chopped celery. We call this Better Than Mom's because after first tasting my wife said "this is better than mom's."