Saturday, November 19, 2011

Maple Brown Sugar Muffins


There’s just something about a warm muffin, straight from the oven, eaten with coffee, in your pjs, on a chilly weekend morning. That is pretty much my idea of a perfect scenario, and one that I’ve been repeating nearly every weekend lately.

My family was so happy to have these for breakfast. They make the house smell absolutely amazing while they’re cooking, and the maple flavor is spot-on. The texture of the muffins is perfect, with a crackly streusel top, a rich golden color, and a moist center. Spread with just a bit of butter, they taste almost exactly like pancakes!

And just for fun, check out what’s going on behind the scenes whenever I try to take pictures of food.



There are always two sweet little boys who are eager to help! :)

Maple Brown Sugar Muffins
adapted from Taste of Home

For the muffins:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the topping:

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold butter

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter, syrup, sour cream, egg and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.

2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. For topping, combine the flour, sugars, and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.

3. Bake at 400 degrees for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (mine took the full 20). Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Makes 16 muffins.

5 comments:

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is the answer to my husband's dreams. I want to make it for him, tonight. I am trying to figure out, how many of these are for me. I love maple, too.

Would you link these to Bake with Bizzy? http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/11/bake-with-bizzy-vanilla-pound-cake.html

Claire @ Blueberry Muffins said...

I'm gonna try this recipe! Adorable hungry boys! Mornings with muffins, coffee and a family. What more could we ask for.

Deborah said...

One of my favorite muffin recipes is a brown sugar muffin, and I love this with the maple!! (and I LOVE the pic with your boys!)

Linda said...

I've had these on my "to make" list for a long time; made them this morning and my husband and I loved them. I usually make blueberry muffins, and I'm glad I didn't have any blueberries because now we have a new favorite. The flavor is just delicious.

Anonymous said...

Made these today. They were really good, but felt like the were missing something. I think they would be good with a few cinammon chips tossed in the batter. Even with the sugar and maple syrup they weren't too sweet though which is great. My husband also loved them, ate two and took two for his graveyard shift.