Friday, November 25, 2011

Maple Cream Pie


I mentioned earlier in the week that my dessert contribution for Thanksgiving dinner this year was a maple cream pie. I promised to share it if it was a hit. And well, since I'm writing about it today, a mere one day after Thanksgiving, that should tell you a little something about how well it went over with my family.

This is such a delicious pie. It's so smooth and creamy, and the maple flavor is perfect. I think sometimes maple syrup can be too cloyingly sweet, but its flavor in this pie is mild and cool and absolutely spot-on. There's not any sugar in the pie at all -- it relies on the maple syrup alone for sweetness. And to think that I didn't used to like maple syrup. The wonder of this pie would have been lost of me, which truly would have been a shame. Thankfully I've reformed!

My family loved this pie so much. I wish I had some leftover for breakfast this morning but those animals ate it all! :)

Try this. I promise your family will love it too.

Maple Cream Pie
 
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches) 
1/4 cup cornstarch 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1 3/4 cups milk, divided 
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup, divided 
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter 
1 cup heavy whipping cream
  
1. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.

2. For filling, combine cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining milk and 3/4 cup maple syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. 

3. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring.

4. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1 cup cream into cooled filling; spoon into crust. Fold remaining syrup into remaining cream; frost top of pie. Refrigerate overnight. Refrigerate leftovers. Makes 8 servings.

3 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Mmm, my family would love this! We love maple syrup! Maybe I'll make it for Christmas.

Deborah said...

I am the same - I used to not like maple syrup. But now I do, and thank goodness, because this sounds fantastic!

Leigh Ladd said...

I mean. no words. I need this. like now. right now.