Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin Seed-Crusted Chicken, Maple Cayenne Brussels Sprouts, and Mashed Sweet Potatoes


You’re getting three recipes for the price of one today! I really loved this meal and the way the flavors all worked together, so I thought I’d post them all together.

I saw a random pin on Pinterest awhile ago for pumpkin seed-crusted vegetarian “chicken” patties, and it sounded like such an awesome idea. When I roasted the seeds from our pumpkins this year, I separated them into two batches: a sweet batch for snacking, and a savory batch for this chicken dish. The chicken turned out exactly as I hoped it would: crispy and salty, with a nutty, earthy flavor from the pumpkin seeds. To make this meal come together more quickly the night you want to serve it, roast and grind your pumpkin seeds a day or two in advance and store them in an airtight container.


I served the chicken with Brussels sprouts, which I absolutely love, but which the men in my life (specifically, my husband and sons) apparently do not love. I thought they were delicious, though. I loved the way the maple syrup and cayenne combined to make a sweet and spicy glaze for the Brussels sprouts, and I loved how the Brussels sprouts themselves were nutty and crispy from the roasting process.

Lastly, I made some simple mashed sweet potatoes with a little bit of butter, a little bit of half and half, a pinch of cinnamon and a touch of brown sugar. They rounded out the meal perfectly. This meal is autumn on a plate, plain and simple.



Pumpkin Seed-Crusted Chicken, Maple Cayenne Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and Mashed Sweet Potatoes
chicken inspired by a Pinterest pin I can’t find now; Brussels sprouts adapted from Not Rachael Ray; sweet potatoes are my recipe

1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
4 chicken breasts, pounded into thin cutlets
3 tablespoons butter

1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon butter
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Pinch of cayenne pepper

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup half and half or milk
Pinch of cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste

1. To roast the pumpkin seeds (do this the day before): Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet; add vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Arrange in a single layer and cook until browned and nutty-smelling, 10 to 15 minutes. Add to a food processor or blender and grind into fine crumbs. Store until ready to use.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss Brussels sprouts with butter and salt and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway. They should be tender and browned. Combine maple syrup and cayenne and pour over the sprouts. Toss to coat and return to oven for one more minute.

3. While the Brussels sprouts are roasting, prepare chicken and sweet potatoes. Bring sweet potatoes to a boil and cook until fork-tender. Add butter, brown sugar, half and half, cinnamon and salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm while you prepare the chicken.

4. Mix together roasted pumpkin seeds, Panko breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper on a large plate. Dip chicken in egg, then in pumpkin seed mixture. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook on both sides until breading is crispy and chicken is no longer pink. Finish cooking the chicken in the oven if the breading browns too quickly.

5. Serve chicken alongside Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm heading straight for those sweet potatoes!

Unknown said...

this is my kind of dinner!!

freedb1 said...

Check out this great cookbook that I found. All healthy foods.
http://f8925dz1n7qm6q8myk11haxrc7.hop.clickbank.net/