Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sprinkles Doughnuts


In all actuality, these should be called “cake batter doughnuts,” but when my older son saw them he called them “sprinkles doughnuts.” I thought that was pretty cute, so I’m going with it. :)

The doughnuts pictured are actually my second attempt at making these. My first try didn’t go so well. I only had chocolate sprinkles, the batter was way too salty, and I overfilled my doughnut pan. I assumed I just got a cake mix with a higher salt content and that’s why they tasted so salty, so I adjusted the salt in the recipe way down the second time I made them, and they were perfect. They’ve since become a family favorite, requested nearly every weekend. One box of cake mix will get you quite a few batches of doughnuts; this I know from experience!


These are delicious. I mean, doughnuts that taste like cake, and sprinkles, and a yummy vanilla glaze – what’s not to love? These would be a great birthday morning breakfast – or really, a great breakfast on any day! Thanks, Stephanie, for a wonderful recipe!

Sprinkles Doughnuts
adapted from Stephanie Cooks

For the doughnuts:

1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cake mix
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Several tablespoons of sprinkles

For the glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-3 tablespoons milk

1. Preheat over to 325 degrees. Spray a doughnut pan with nonstick spray.

2. In a large bowl combine the flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir well.

3. Add in the milk, egg, and vanilla. Stir. Stir in a few tablespoons of sprinkles.

4. Pour batter into a piping bag. Pipe batter into pan until 2/3 full.

5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool in pan a few minutes, then transfer to wire rack.

6. To make the glaze, stir together all ingredients. Add milk to achieve desired consistency. Spoon lightly over doughnuts, apply sprinkles, and allow to sit to harden.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you liked them!!

freedb1 said...

Check out this great cookbook that I found. All healthy foods.
http://f8925dz1n7qm6q8myk11haxrc7.hop.clickbank.net/

Abby said...

I'm gonna have to buy that donut pan on my Wish List now, aren't I? Ha.