Friday, November 18, 2011

Bow Ties with Spicy Sausage in Tomato Cream Sauce


This pasta literally only has a handful of ingredients in it: sausage, onion, garlic, tomatoes and cream. And yet somehow, when those ingredients all come together, the flavor becomes so complex. This pasta is spicy, sweet, creamy, and absolutely delicious. I was going to add spinach to it, but I’m glad I didn’t. I was going to add some parmesan cheese, and I’m glad I didn’t do that either. It doesn’t need a single additional ingredient – it’s already perfect just as it is. And it’s ready in the amount of time it takes the pasta to cook.

I can’t say enough good things about this dinner. It was delicious and it will definitely make an appearance on many of my future meal plans (once a week, if Joe has anything to say about it).

Bow Ties with Spicy Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce

1 16-ounce package bow tie pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound spicy sausage
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can Italian-style plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions; drain.

2. Heat oil in a large, deep skillet (large enough to hold the sauce and pasta) over medium heat. Cook sausage until sausage is evenly brown. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, cream, and salt. Simmer until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Stir cooked pasta into sauce, and heat through. Serve.

4 comments:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked this one. It's a favorite in our house for sure. I don't know why these simple recipes have such great flavor but I'm glad they do. :)

Debbie said...

I love tomato sauces with cream in them. They are over the top good! Every time I've made one I almost HAVE to add a splash of vodka. I love vodka sauce! This dish looks delicious!

Shanna said...

I made this tonight with egg noodles because I didn't have bow tie and it was great! Only thing was that it was super runny, so I simmered it for a while and then let it cool to sit up. Yum!

Allison said...

Delicious as always! It's becoming a favorite in our house. Only issue is that I need to pile in the Tums :)