Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Butternut Squash Enchiladas


My friend Jessie tweeted about this recipe last winter, saying these were possibly the best enchiladas she'd ever had, and I've had the recipe bookmarked ever since. As soon as butternut squash came into season, I put them on our menu. I'm only sorry I waited so long to make them, because they are indeed delicious.

They remind me a lot of these sweet potato and black bean enchiladas my family loves so much. The flavor profile is very similar. I loved the creaminess of the cream cheese and the heat and texture from the jalapenos. And they're vegetarian, which means they're not very expensive at all to make.

These enchiladas are the perfect way to highlight one of my favorite winter vegetables. They're hearty, comforting, and so incredibly delicious.

Butternut Squash Enchiladas
adapted from The Savage Feast

3 cups cooked, unseasoned, mashed or pureed butternut squash
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves minced garlic
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
Flour tortillas
2 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese, divided
1 16-ounce jar fire-roasted chipotle enchilada sauce, divided

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a large rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butternut squash and cream cheese until well-mixed. Stir in spices, garlic, jalapenos and black beans. Add in about half a cup of the enchilada sauce and 1 cup of the cheese.

3. Place a generous amount of filling in each flour tortilla and roll tightly. Place in baking dish and pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese.

4. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes until they're bubbly and the cheese is slightly browned.

5 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked them. They are definitely a favorite in our house. I do make one slight modification to the recipe - instead of the jalepenos, I use 2 Tbsp. of pureed chipotles in adobo sauce. I always have that on hand in the freezer (thanks to a tip from Rachael Ray), and the jalepenos were the only thing I didn't have in my pantry when I came across the recipe, so I made the substitution.

Sara Jahan said...

These look and sounds amazing! Bookmarking this recipe as well!
Xoxo,
Sara

Deborah said...

I bought a butternut squash to make baby food, but I think that's going to have to wait now!!

Debbie said...

I recently made butternut squash soup but now I would love to give this a try. This looks and sounds great....a nice variation instead of using the usual meat or chicken...

Avril said...

Butternut squash is just so yummy! - I am sure this recipe for enchiladas is just wonderful :-)