Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mom's Shredded Chicken Sandwiches


I think everyone has their own version of these sandwiches. Some people make them with cream of celery soup; some people add saltines to thicken up the mixture. The version I'm sharing today is my Mom's. It's pretty simple, but no less delicious for it. I've been eating this sandwich for as long as I can remember, and it's still one of my favorite comfort foods. As Joe said when I made a batch the other night, "I could eat ten sandwiches and still never have enough of these."

You'll be seeing this on my menu frequently this fall and winter, because these sandwiches are so quick, easy and delicious to prepare, they work great as leftovers, and they remind me of home.

Mom's Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
 

2 pounds chicken breasts
1 cup chicken stock
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream 
1 cup milk (more or less depending on how thick you want the mixture to be)
Lots of black pepper
Salt to taste

Sandwich buns
American cheese slices, if desired
 

1. Add the chicken breasts to a slow cooker and top with chicken stock. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Shred chicken with a fork and drain most of the liquid.

2. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and milk until desired consistency is reached. Add black pepper and stir to combine, then taste for seasoning and add salt to taste. Continue cooking over low heat for 30 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly. Serve on sandwich buns with American cheese, if desired. 

4 comments:

B said...

Cassie, today is a sick day for me and looking at this sandwich: this is all I want. I need some major comfort food, and I'm tired of chicken noodle soup :)

yummy tummy said...

https://eshanamariya.blogspot.com/
best recipes blog

yummy tummy said...

https://eshanamariya.blogspot.com/2022/02/falooda-to-overcome-summer.html
best recipes blog

Anonymous said...

How many people does this serve?