Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sesame Chicken

Sharing this recipe with you today is bittersweet for me, because it’s making me remember how much I liked it -- and how much my husband did not like it. Does that ever happen in your house? Even if I make the meal exactly as the recipe indicates, I always take it really personally when he doesn’t like something -- even if I didn’t come up with the recipe myself. It’s also irritating when I make something that I (and my toddler, who doesn’t eat anything!) really like, and he doesn’t like it so I can’t really make it again. Eh, I’ll stop whining now.

Anyway, I liked this version of sesame chicken a lot. I always order sesame chicken at Chinese restaurants, so it was nice to find an at-home version. As an added bonus, in this recipe the chicken isn’t breaded, so it’s a lot healthier than take-out. Joe’s main problem with this dish was that it had too much soy sauce in it, and I can sort of see where he’s coming from. If I made this again, I’d probably cut the soy sauce by half. I served ours over brown rice with some simple steamed broccoli on the side, and (Andrew and I thought) this was a delicious, healthy dinner. Maybe I’ll try to sneak it onto the menu again one of these days.

Sesame Chicken
adapted from Food.com

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, patted dry with paper towels

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon fresh or ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1. Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch strips or bite size pieces.

2. Heat a large non-stick skillet with a small amount of oil (olive, vegetable, or peanut) over medium-high heat.

3. Cook chicken for about 6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds.

4. Mix together honey, soy sauce, chicken stock, corn starch, ginger and red pepper flakes. Whisk until no corn starch lumps appear.

5. Pour sauce mixture into skillet with chicken and garlic. Cook until sauce thickens slightly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

6. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken starts to soak up the sauce.

Print

7 comments:

elizabeth said...

I can totally relate -- my husband really never says much about what I am serving, BUT if I ask and he says something negative I am crushed. lol So, I just don't ask... ;-) I would definitely cut the soy sauce in half or use a lighter version - tamari (sp?) is good and not as salty. I am a new reader (over from Tammy's - I think) and love your blog. Thank you -- I SO enjoy a good sesame chicken!!

Merut said...

This happens to me all the time. Gas Monkey always wants his food spicy - really spicy, so when I make a nice non-spicy meal then he is disappointed. It is so lame. Your sesame chicken looks delicious, in a very gooey good way. Thanks for sharing it!

Natalie said...

ah I'm the same way. If Ryan doesn't rave about something I'm sad, even though he tells me he can't rave about EVERY meal :) This looks so yummy!

Unknown said...

I want to make so many things that my husband won't like. I usually just make them anyway! :) I recently discovered your blog and made him sit down with me just last night and show me which of your recipes he would like me to make. They all look good to me.

Debbie said...

It's so hard to please everyone. I do get my feelings hurt when I make something I think is delicious and no one likes it. Very frustrating! I love sesame chicken and shrimp. Yours looks great.

Monica H said...

Yes that happens to me too but my husband won't say anything until I'm about to make it again. Grr! This looks good to me though.

Sonya said...

It's happend to me too..I made sub sandwiches and thought everything was ok..then I made it again and glanced over at my husband who was having a hard time keeping it down. He hates red sauce with a passion and I never realised how much until that moment..lol I always take it personally too..it is annoying because not being able to use alot of tomato based recipes can be tricky..thankfully he isn't a big baby about it and has loved everything else I've made with it so go figure..lol

Bookmarked and totally making this..we are huge chinese food fans and this will go down nicely at our house :)