Tuesday, November 2, 2010

BBQ Chicken and Cole Slaw Wraps

I have a really simple, delicious lunch or dinner idea to share with you today. It was actually inspired by a lunch I had at my work cafeteria a while ago. That may sound odd, but I should probably mention that I work for a large corporation, and we have two cafeterias of the nearly gourmet variety. We’re not talking school cafeteria food here. And thank goodness for that!

Anyway, this is what I had: barbecue chicken in a flour tortilla spread with chive and onion cream cheese, all wrapped up with cole slaw and slices of cheddar cheese. It was so simple and delicious and now, every time I see that on the menu, it’s what I get for lunch at work.


Of course, I had to try making my own version at home, and I couldn’t be more pleased with how these turned out. They were a huge hit with Joe, and I think they’re even better than the cafeteria’s version. Best of all, they’re delicious warm or cold, so if you make a little extra for dinner one night you have lunch for the next day. You’ll get at least three big wraps out of two small chicken breasts, so this is a pretty inexpensive meal too. I don’t add any additional sauce to the wraps other than what’s on the chicken before I slice it, but if you want the barbecue flavor to be a little stronger, by all means add more.

BBQ Chicken and Cole Slaw Wraps

2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
Flour tortillas
1 tablespoon of chive and onion cream cheese per tortilla
Cheddar cheese slices
Prepared cole slaw

1. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium-high heat in a large skillet until cooked through. Pour barbecue sauce over chicken and heat through. Remove chicken to a cutting board and slice.

2. Spread each flour tortilla with 1 tablespoon chive and onion cream cheese. Top with two slices of cheddar cheese per tortilla, some of the chicken, and about 1/2 cup of cole slaw. Fold wraps tightly and serve, or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Print

No comments: