Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Black Bean and Salsa Soup

Well, I wasn’t able to post yesterday, because that stomach virus that my boys had? Well, they passed it to me. So I blew NaBloPoMo, which I’m irritated about, but I had a good excuse, but I’m not going into detail because it’s not the kind of thing you want to read about on a food blog, so...moving on.

Anyway. This soup is awesome. It’s so flavorful and delicious, and it is literally ready in ten minutes. TEN MINUTES. How’s that for a weeknight home run?

We all absolutely loved this dinner. I topped our servings with shredded cheese, sour cream, scallions, and crushed tortilla chips for texture, and served it with cheese quesadillas for dipping. I’ll be making this one a lot, and I strongly recommend that you try it!

Black Bean and Salsa Soup
adapted from Everything Moms

2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup chunky salsa

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 can cream-style corn

Sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions and crushed tortilla chips for garnish, if desired

1. In an electric food processor or blender, combine beans, stock, salsa, cumin, and chili powder. Blend until fairly smooth.

2. Transfer the bean mixture to a saucepan and stir in cream corn. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Taste for seasonings, and add salt and pepper if needed to taste.

3. Ladle soup into bowls, and top each bowl with desired toppings.


Print

7 comments:

Desi said...

oh Cassie this sounds so good! I have been wanting to cook more soups since it is fall, and I never used to make soups very often. Thanks for the inspiration!

Allison said...

Adding this to my list for next week! Super fast and I have 2 cans worth of black beans just waiting for me in the freezer... :)

Keri said...

Oh yum! This sounds soooo good and perfect for the cold weather we are having this week. I think I have everything on hand to make this, too:-)! Yea!!

Debbie said...

This looks delicious and hearty. A great meal....

Leigh said...

sold. already on the menu for next week.

Cara said...

Hope you are feeling better soon, Cassie! It's hard to be a sick mommy.

This soup sounds yummy, and I love that it is so easy to throw together. Ready in less than 10 minutes?! Can't beat that!!

Deborah said...

The thing I love best about this recipe is that you can always have the ingredients on hand for those nights when you don't have much time. Totally bookmarking this one!