Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole

I think every family has its own version of “cheesy potatoes.” Our family actually has two versions. There’s my dad’s “party potatoes,” which are so freakin’ good, and which he won’t share the recipe for no matter how much I bug him. Then there’s this recipe, which I adapted long ago from my trusty old Better Crocker Cookbook.

Back when my cooking repertoire consisted of six meals made on an endless cycle, Joe and I used to eat this as a main dish. Now we usually eat these potatoes as a side dish for various things (like the ribs in the picture, Joe’s specialty which he won’t share the recipe for; these men and their secret recipes!). This is also the dish I take to our Easter family dinner, and I think it would be the perfect side dish for any holiday celebration.

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
adapted from Betty Crocker

1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 8-ounce container spreadable chive and onion cream cheese, softened
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 30-ounce bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom and side of a rectangular 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In very large bowl, mix soup, cream cheese, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in potatoes and 1 cup cheese. Spoon into baking dish.

3. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown on top and bubbly around edges.

5 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

I love cheesy potatoes in pretty much any form. I'll have to try these next time! Yum!

Horse Filled Days said...

Yum....hash brown casserole is pretty much my Favorite. Thing. Ever. , LOL.....I think I must make it tonight!

Keri said...

Cheese and potatoes, yes please! This sounds wonderful!! I have a "party potatoes" recipe from my grandmother that we make at holidays. It might be similar to your dad's recipe if you want to try it:-).

Debbie said...

This definitely looks like comfort food to me. It sounds great!!! (I used to also cook about only 6 dishes many years ago and even had a certain night of the week for each one - talk about lame!!!!).

Avril said...

Serious serious YUM factor here! Can't go wrong with all those ingredients! :-)