Monday, November 22, 2010

Mashed Potato Enchiladas

This week, most food bloggers will be sharing recipes to complete your Thanksgiving menu. However, I’m not one of them. Here’s a little secret: I’ve never hosted my own Thanksgiving. I always make components of the various meals we attend, and most of those recipes are already on the blog somewhere. So this week, I thought that instead of sharing Thanksgiving dishes, I’d share dishes to help you use up your Thanksgiving leftovers.

As soon as I saw this recipe on Taste and Tell, I was intrigued, and I knew I had to make it. Mashed potatoes rolled up in a flour tortilla and baked like an enchilada? I’d never heard of such a thing!

Well, we all loved these. A LOT. I added black beans, corn, and some green chilies to the filling, which made them taste even better. These enchiladas are a great way to transform mashed potatoes into something different (and delicious)!

Mashed Potato Enchiladas
adapted from Taste and Tell

1 1/2 pounds potatoes (I used baby reds, unpeeled for texture, and I think I used about 12 of them)
Butter, salt and sour cream for the potatoes
1 can corn, drained (or 2 cups frozen corn)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 4-ounce can green chilies, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese, divided
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 can red enchilada sauce, divided
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas

1. Put the potatoes in a large pot of water and bring it to a boil. Cook until tender but still firm. Drain and mash, adding milk, sour cream, and butter.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, corn, black beans, green chilies, 1 cup of cheese, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce.

3. Spoon evenly into tortillas and roll up. Place enchiladas in a baking dish and spread the remaining enchilada sauce on top. Top with the remaining cheese.

4. Bake in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 15 minutes.

Print

4 comments:

xenacat1 said...

Hi, Cassie,
Love your blog; I haven't had to go on an "ingredient hunt" for any of your recipes yet!
These Mashed Potato Enchiladas sound delish! Mashed potato rolled tacos are my favorite, so I'm excited to try these.
What size can enchilada sauce? The small 10-ounce (like a soup can) or the large (28 ounce?). I tried to find the recipe on Taste and Tell, but no luck.
Thanks, Cheryl

Cassie said...

Hi Cheryl, Thank you for your compliments! :) I'm sorry for not being more specific with the enchilada sauce. Deborah only used a cup of it for hers, but I used a whole 10-ounce can. You could always use the bigger one, though, if you wanted; there's no such thing as "too much" enchilada sauce, in my opinion! Thanks for reading! :)

Debbie said...

These made me think of chile rellenos!!! I guess because they are stuffed with potatoes too! Sounds delicious!

Deborah said...

I love your additions here! Now I want some more!