Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Coffee Chocolate Chunk Muffins

I’m not a big coffee drinker in the mornings. I usually have a cup shortly after I get to work, but I mix it with hot chocolate, so I think that disqualifies me as a serious coffee drinker. However, I really love the flavor of coffee, especially in baked goods. On one of the rare weekend mornings when I actually made a pot of coffee at home (it had been a long night with the boys), I remembered these muffins, and I thought they would be the perfect way to use up some of the leftover coffee.

In addition to using liquid coffee in the muffins, I also unearthed a couple of Hershey’s bars left over from our summer s’mores, so I chopped those up and added them to the batter instead of using pre-packaged chocolate chunks. I was truly unprepared for how much I loved these muffins. They had a great coffee flavor that paired so perfectly with the milk chocolate chunks. They were moist and delicious and sweet and slightly bitter and just amazing. If you’re a coffee lover, these muffins are a must-try!

Coffee Chocolate Chunk Muffins
adapted from Sherry Starts Cooking

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooled brewed coffee

2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour

3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
1 cup milk chocolate chunks
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin tins.

2. Mix together milk and coffee, and gently whisk in eggs and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the coffee mixture and melted butter to the flour mixture and stir gently just to combine. Fold in chocolate chunks and chips.

3. Fill prepared muffin tins and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes.

Print

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm with you...I love coffee flavor in things but don't drink it (unless it's mixed with Bailey's!). These sound great, I can't wait to try!

Sherry G said...

That's from me=) I totally agree with you on being unprepared for how good they were. I'm not a big coffee drinker but I do adore the flavor in baked goods as well=)

Avril said...

Cassie I so agree with you on the love of coffee flavor in a baked goodie. Nothing better! These muffins look wonderful!!!!! I can't wait to make them myself!

p.s. I love how you combine your coffee with hot chocolate....great, great idea!

Leigh said...

oh my. so in like 4 weeks when we FINALLY are going to be home for one of our DVR and Desserts...this might be the ticket. hm....I don't think I can wait that long though!

Keri said...

Oh my gosh, these muffins look amazing. I love coffee in desserts, too!

Monica H said...

Coffee and chocolate are best buds of mine. I made a recipe for coffee muffins last winter and they were delicious but they also had 3 sticks of butter in them! If you're feeling gluttonous, I suggest you give them a try- they just melt in your mouth.

And I have to tell you, on top of sound good, your muffins are PERFECT.