Monday, November 15, 2010

Bacon Guacamole

Bacon seems to be all the rage these days, I’m sure you’ve noticed. Bacon is going in cookies and in tons of other dishes where it normally wouldn't go. I have yet to get sick of this trend, so when I saw a recipe for bacon guacamole, I was all over it. After all, I love putting a couple of slices of avocado on my BLTs, so pairing avocado with bacon in a nice spicy guacamole seemed like a natural thing to do. Why hadn’t I ever thought of it before?

This is a great spin on guacamole. The bacon adds a really nice saltiness in the background, but surprisingly, it doesn’t overpower the other flavors like I thought it might. The smoky bacon pairs perfectly with the smoky-spicy chipotle in adobo, and the balance of textures is spot-on: creamy avocado, crispy bacon, juicy Roma tomatoes. This is a perfect snack for tailgating or, really, anytime!


Bacon Guacamole
adapted from Yum Sugar, originally from Rick Bayless

3 strips bacon

2 medium-large ripe avocados, cut in half and pitted
Half of a medium red onion, chopped into small pieces

1 canned chipotle in adobo, removed from canning sauce, stemmed, slit open, seeded and finely chopped
1 medium Roma tomato, cored and chopped into small pieces
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
Salt to taste
Fresh lime juice to taste

1. In a large (10-inch) skillet, cook the bacon in a single layer over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp and browned, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels, crumble coarsely and set aside.

2. Scoop the avocado flesh into a large bowl. Using a potato masher or a large fork or spoon, mash into a coarse purée. Add about two-thirds of the bacon, along with the onion, chipotle chile, tomato and cilantro. Stir gently to combine.

3. Taste and season with salt and lime juice to taste. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate. To serve, scoop the guacamole into a serving dish and sprinkle with the remaining bacon (and cilantro if desired).

Print

9 comments:

Deborah said...

This seems like a no brainer - but I've never seen it done before! Throw in some tortilla chips and this is my idea of a perfect snack!

Unknown said...

seriously i am trying to get skinny not fat! I really think i would like this!

Taylor said...

Mmmm bacon! I haven't added bacon to anything crazy yet, but this sounds too good to not try!

Avril said...

Ahhhh....but of course! I just love the looks and idea of combining bacon with a lucious guacamole! Yum Cassie, SERIOUS yum! :-)

dining room table said...

This is something so new to me. I would love to make some today for lunch. Thanks for sharing.

Keri said...

My two all-time faves: guacamole and bacon!! Awesome idea! And, I love the addition of chipotles in adobo, too. I'm planning this for a snack for this weekend. And, I'll probably end up eating the entire bowl:-)!

Desi said...

You had me at bacon :)

and the guac just secured it!!!

Definitely trying!

Nanci Waldman said...

OMG....this looks so yummy. I LOVE guacamole and I LOVE bacon!!! Great idea. My sisters and I just started our first themed blog hop over at
http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com/ starting this Sunday!. This weeks theme is appetizers. We would love for you to come over and share these or any of your favorite appetizer recipes with our blog readers. Have a great weekend.
Nanci

Williams said...

very interesting, good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.
MonicaHicks