Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Smoked Sausage Pierogi Bake


Hey, remember that bacon pierogi bake my family loves so much? Well, I was so excited when I saw this recipe, which uses smoked sausage instead of bacon and changes the recipe up in a few other little ways. This is such a delicious adaptation of the original casserole. Smoked sausage is such a natural pairing with pierogies, and it works great with the other ingredients in this dish.

It may not really seem like a summer sort of meal, but smoked sausage is on sale a lot during the summer, and this is a great way to use it. Although I still think I prefer the bacon version, this is a hearty, delicious alternative.


Looks like a hot mess. Tastes delicious.

Smoked Sausage Pierogi Bake
adapted from Lemons and Love

1 16-ounce package frozen potato and cheese pierogies
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into small pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Green onions, thinly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the frozen pierogies in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.

2. In a large skillet, cook smoked sausage over medium heat until edges are browned and crispy. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add cream cheese, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and pepper. Heat through until cream cheese is melted.

3. Pour the smoked sausage-cream cheese mixture evenly over the pierogies. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes until thoroughly heated. Add cheddar cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with green onions.

6 comments:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I've been thinking about making this version but I can't stand the thought of turning my oven on right now.

Debbie said...

I love this recipe Cassie. My youngest son is crazy for pierogies. Always in my freezer! I am going to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

Okay, pierogies are my splurge..so I am going to HAVE to try this :) Thanks for the recipe!

Allison said...

This was really good, Cassie! Everyone in the family ate it well--it will go on the list of recipes to try again!

Unknown said...

I am making this for dinner! We were going to have sausages on a bun with a side of perogies... but this is way better! It has cheese! Thanks for posting it.

Becki Jo said...

I made for dinner and forgot to drain the tomatoes. Besides being a little soupy, is it ok to cook a little longer? I'll let you know the results