Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Shaved Asparagus Pizza


The problem with trying so many new recipes all the time is that I’m always inevitably way behind in sharing those recipes with you. This shaved asparagus pizza is a perfect example. I made it back in June, and we loved it, and now it’s at least a month later and I haven’t even posted the recipe yet. And for that, I really do owe you a huge apology, because this pizza is AMAZING. It’s so ridiculously good that I’m almost at a loss as to how to describe it to you. I wish I would have made two of these pizzas for us, because I think Joe and I both could have eaten an entire pizza on our own. This pizza will be a staple meal in our house for a long time to come, and I’d even feel comfortable serving it to dinner guests.

Asparagus is traditionally a spring vegetable, I know, but I just couldn’t wait until next spring to share this with you. Besides, asparagus is readily available in the supermarkets year-round. I maintain that there are few ingredients in the world more delicious than Boursin cheese, and when it’s paired with ribbons of asparagus and slathered on pizza, well…There are just no words.


Shaved Asparagus Pizza
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

1 batch of your favorite pizza crust, prepared according to recipe (I used a Pillsbury thin crust, prepared according to the direction on the package)
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
1 bunch of asparagus, washed and trimmed
5 1/4 ounces Boursin cheese (or other garlic and herb spreadable cheese)
Fresh cracked black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If not already shaped, stretch your pizza dough into a large rectangle or circle 12 to 16 inches in diameter and place on your pizza pan or stone. Drizzle dough with a thin stream of olive oil.

2. Sprinkle mozzarella and provolone evenly over dough.

3. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus into thin ribbons. Use the entire bunch, as you might only get 3 or 4 good ribbons from each spear. Pile asparagus shavings on top of the cheese.

4. Top asparagus with several cranks of black pepper and dot generously with Boursin cheese.

5. Bake on pizza stone or baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing and serving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

looks yummy! i am making puff pastry tart with asparagus tomorrow but seeing this makes me want to make it tonight!