Monday, July 18, 2011

Watermelon Frozen Yogurt Popsicles

About 95% of the time, I don’t stage my food for photos. I love looking at gorgeous, staged food photography on other food blogs, but frankly, I just don’t have the patience to do it myself. Usually the photos you see on my site are taken right before I start eating. And usually while I’m taking them, there are two little boys clamoring for more of this or less of that in the background, and a husband who is very good about indulging my hobby but who also just wants to eat already. So I snap a couple of pictures and call it a day. Desserts are easier to stage, since I usually make sweets on the weekends and have more time to take pictures.

On a recent weekend, I made these watermelon frozen yogurt popsicles, and then I realized I had a dilemma on my hands: How in the world do you photograph a popsicle? After going back and forth for a while and trying different things, I decided I’d just take a picture of the popsicle in its natural habitat: my son’s mouth.



(Yes, he is currently in a phase where he always wants to wear his hair spiky. And yes, he is a very silly boy.)

We absolutely loved these popsicles, if you couldn’t tell from the photos. The watermelon juice is so sweet and refreshing, and the vanilla yogurt adds a delicious creamy element. This is a popsicle I can feel good about my sons eating. It’s a perfect summer treat, and I can’t wait to experiment with more variations!

Watermelon Frozen Yogurt Popsicles
slightly adapted from Debbi Does Dinner…Healthy and Low-Calorie

2 cups seedless watermelon, diced
1 6- to 8-ounce carton light vanilla yogurt
1 tablespoon sugar or sugar substitute

Blend ingredients in a blender or food processor and pour into molds. Freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove 5 to 10 minutes before serving so the popsicles can easily be removed from their molds. Makes 6 large or 12 small popsicles.

3 comments:

Velva said...

I can see why these popsicles rock. You have the best little boy critic.

Happy summer to you.

Velva

Tessa said...

I've seen popsicles around quite a bit this year, but not a watermelon version. Sounds great!

Desi said...

I love his face in that photo! It made me smile :) So do those popsicles!