Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saturdays with Rachael Ray: Egg Tostada Frittata


Some recipes I see and I just think to myself, “I have to make that as soon as possible.” That’s how I felt when I saw Rachael Ray make this dish on a recent episode of 30 Minute Meals. My family’s love of Mexican food is no secret, and we love having breakfast-for-dinner, so this egg tostada frittata was right up our alley.

This dish definitely did not disappoint. It came together quickly and tasted absolutely delicious – spicy and cheesy and salty. I loved the refried beans on top; they added tons of flavor and texture. I made some changes to Rachael’s recipe (skipped the homemade salsa and lettuce; used green chiles instead of Fresnos and Fritos for the tostada element because I had them on hand), and this turned out exactly like I was hoping. This will be a go-to weeknight dinner for us from now on, I can promise you that!

Check out Taste and Tell's Saturdays with Rachael Ray for more great recipes!

Egg Tostada Frittata
adapted from 30 Minute Meals

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 slices bacon, finely diced
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 4-ounce jar chopped green chilies, drained
10 large eggs
1 tablespoon hot sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
3 to 4 handfuls Fritos or other tortilla chips
1 can refried beans
1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salsa and sour cream for serving, if desired

1. Preheat a 10 to 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Also preheat the broiler with the rack positioned in the middle of the oven.

2. To the hot oil add the bacon and render, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions and chilies and cook about 4 to 5 minutes to soften them.

3. Beat the eggs with the hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Lightly crush the Fritos and add them to the pan, pour the eggs overtop, and stir to combine. Settle the eggs and lightly brown them, then transfer the pan to the center of the oven and broil the eggs for 6 to 7 minutes, or until lightly golden.

4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the refried beans with a splash of water to thin them out.

5. Remove the eggs from the oven and spread the refried beans overtop, stopping 1-inch from the edge all around. Top with shredded cheese and return to the oven for 1 to 2 more minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.

Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I, too, love breakfast for dinner. I can see why this is going to be a go-to meal!

Mrs. Ca said...

You know I love a good brinner! I have been thinking about this recipe since you posted it, so I am going to have to make it very soon. Brinner + Mexican food? Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Ricki said...

My family's favorite meal...brinner! I made this last night and it was fantastic!