Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips


Fruit salsa is one of those things I love so much that it came as a bit of a shock to me when I realized I'd never made it myself. When I saw this recipe on Carrie's Sweet Life, I knew I had to remedy that, and soon. Fresh, sweet fruit salsa, paired with homemade cinnamon tortilla chips? Yes please!

I can't even begin to describe how delicious this salsa is. It's sweet and tangy and so incredibly decadent. The cinnamon chips are irresistible (and addictive!) on their own, but pairing them with the fruit salsa takes them to a completely new level. This was a huge hit with everyone who tried it, and I will definitely, absolutely, certainly be making it over and over again.


I adapted Carrie's recipe to fit our tastes, and you can adapt it to fit your tastes too. Use whatever seasonal fruits you like -- peaches would taste amazing in this salsa. You're going to love it!

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
adapted from Carrie's Sweet Life

For the salsa:

1 pint fresh strawberries, stemmed, hulled and cut into chunks
1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons sugar, divided

For the cinnamon tortilla chips:

5 flour tortillas, cut into triangles
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. For the salsa: In a large bowl, combine kiwi, apples, and all but 1/4 cup strawberries. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar and stir to combine. In a blender, combine remaining 1/4 cup strawberries, lemon juice, lime juice, and remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Pulse until liquefied and add puree to fruit. Refrigerate until serving.

2. For the tortilla chips: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lay tortilla triangles on baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Stir together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle each tortilla. Flip each tortilla and brush the other side with melted butter and cinnamon sugar. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven or until crunchy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy i love fruit salsa and cinnamon chips, its one of my favorite indulgences!

Allison said...

Drool. I've had this before but never made it myself. It looks and sounds delicious! I've made the cinnamon chips before with spray butter instead of real butter, in case anyone wants to lighten it up a bit :)