Monday, April 4, 2011
Bacon Pierogi Bake
If there was an award for The Dish I’ve Made The Most Times Without Blogging About It, this bacon pierogi bake would definitely win. I made this for the first time in early January, and I’ve made it at least 5 times since then. For someone who likes to try new recipes as much as I do, that really says something about how much we all love this.
I don’t know why I haven’t shared it until now, other than that I was never able to get a good picture of it. And although I normally don’t care very much about things like that, this is one of those dishes that deserves to look as delicious as it tastes.
Pierogies were never something I ate very much growing up. And even as an adult, I’ve never really eaten them with anything other than smoked sausage and sauerkraut. So when I saw this recipe (on tons of blogs; it’s been quite popular lately), I knew I was going to try it. The pierogies bake in a cream cheese sauce, then they’re topped with cheese, scallions, and fresh tomatoes. Oh, and did I mention that the sauce starts with a few slices of bacon?
Yeah. Uh-huh. You’re going to love this one.
Bacon Pierogi Bake
adapted from My Recipes
1 16-ounce package frozen potato and cheddar pierogies
4 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange the pierogies in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan. Set aside.
3. Add garlic to drippings in pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over pierogies. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, top with cheese, and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Top with reserved bacon, green onions, tomato, and a sprinkling of black pepper if desired.