Thursday, July 7, 2011

Herb and Brie Omelet


I love cooking up omelets for a quick breakfast or dinner, although I very rarely stray from the typical ham and cheese or Denver variety. But when I saw this recipe, it immediately spoke to me. Actually, I think it was the brie specifically that spoke to me. Brie is always speaking to me, saying things like, “Eeeaaat me. I am decadent and irresistible.” Oh, that brie.

The combination of creamy, luscious brie and bright, fresh herbs makes this omelet much more special and fancy than an everyday omelet, but it’s just as quick and easy to prepare. It was absolutely every bit as delicious as I hoped it would be.

You may notice in the picture above that I went slightly overboard with the brie. But it’s not my fault. The brie told me to use more than the amount listed in the recipe. I couldn't say no. When brie speaks, you listen.

Herb and Brie Omelet
adapted from Betty Crocker

2 large eggs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
Dash hot sauce
1 ounce brie cheese, rind removed and sliced

1. Combine the eggs, basil, parsley, thyme, milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine.

2. Heat small nonstick skillet over medium heat. (Skillet should be hot before pouring in egg mixture.) When skillet is hot, spray with nonstick cooking spray.

3. Pour egg mixture into skillet and allow it to cook, without stirring, until egg is almost set. Place cheese slices down center of egg; fold sides of the omelet over to cover cheese. Cover pan; continue to cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love brie also and have some I need to use, might have to make these!

Desi said...

I love me some omelets but I haven't used brie in it before. I know, I'm crazy! I will sooo be trying these, as always like all of your recipes! I will be posting about your Monterey Ranch Bread soon :)

I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

Deborah said...

Oh my- I LOVE Brie. I have to try this!