I’ve been really excited to share this recipe with you. I created it on the fly one night when I didn’t really feel like making the meal I’d planned. I took an inventory of what I had on hand, and this recipe is what I came up with.
This recipe definitely kicks the classic version of chicken Marsala up a few notches. I wrapped the chicken in bacon, and I added rosemary to the sauce. I thought the salty bacon and the earthy rosemary would pair perfectly with the Marsala and the mushrooms, and I was right. It all just worked. Wrapping the chicken in the bacon kept the chicken so moist, and the tender, juicy chicken was nicely contrasted by the crispy bacon. I bet you could make the chicken entirely in the oven (rather than starting it on the stovetop, then transferring it to the oven like I did), but I think the drippings are essential for the Marsala sauce.
I really think you’ll love this recipe. It tastes just phenomenal.
Bacon-Wrapped Rosemary Chicken Marsala
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
4 strips thick bacon
2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, finely diced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, stemmed and finely chopped
1 cup Marsala wine
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Season chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper. Wrap a slice of bacon around each piece of chicken. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in the skillet with the bacon’s seam-side-down. Cook on all sides until bacon is crisp. Transfer to an oven-safe dish and place in the oven while you’re preparing the sauce.
3. Add butter to the same skillet. Add shallots and mushrooms. When the mushrooms are browned, add garlic and rosemary and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Add Marsala to the mushroom mixture, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to pick up any browned bits. Let Marsala reduce by half.
5. Add chicken stock and heat through, until stock is slightly reduced. Return the chicken to the skillet and nestle in the sauce. Serve immediately.