Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bacon-Wrapped Rosemary Chicken Marsala


I’ve been really excited to share this recipe with you. I created it on the fly one night when I didn’t really feel like making the meal I’d planned. I took an inventory of what I had on hand, and this recipe is what I came up with.

This recipe definitely kicks the classic version of chicken Marsala up a few notches. I wrapped the chicken in bacon, and I added rosemary to the sauce. I thought the salty bacon and the earthy rosemary would pair perfectly with the Marsala and the mushrooms, and I was right. It all just worked. Wrapping the chicken in the bacon kept the chicken so moist, and the tender, juicy chicken was nicely contrasted by the crispy bacon. I bet you could make the chicken entirely in the oven (rather than starting it on the stovetop, then transferring it to the oven like I did), but I think the drippings are essential for the Marsala sauce.


I really think you’ll love this recipe. It tastes just phenomenal.

Bacon-Wrapped Rosemary Chicken Marsala

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
4 strips thick bacon
2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, finely diced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, stemmed and finely chopped
1 cup Marsala wine
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

2. Season chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper. Wrap a slice of bacon around each piece of chicken. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in the skillet with the bacon’s seam-side-down. Cook on all sides until bacon is crisp. Transfer to an oven-safe dish and place in the oven while you’re preparing the sauce.

3. Add butter to the same skillet. Add shallots and mushrooms. When the mushrooms are browned, add garlic and rosemary and season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Add Marsala to the mushroom mixture, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to pick up any browned bits. Let Marsala reduce by half.

5. Add chicken stock and heat through, until stock is slightly reduced. Return the chicken to the skillet and nestle in the sauce. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Faith said...

adding to the recipes i must try! looks amazing!!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen said...

This recipe looks amazing and simple! I love the bacon wrapping idea.

Amanda said...

I'm sad because I just made traditional Chicken Marsala last night and this looks SO. MUCH. BETTER. I will definitely be trying this ASAP!

Katie said...

I made a tomato basil stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon last week. The directions called for it to be baked in the oven. I found that the bacon didn't get crispy and was actually kind of soggy. I think if I make something like this again I will brown it in the skillet first, like you did, in order for the bacon to get crisp. This recipe looks yummy by the way!!

amanda @ fake ginger said...

The only way to improve chicken marsala is with bacon! Love this! And your pictures are fantastic!

Noodle restaurant Brisbane said...

Very nice explained recipe! Food looks nice on the photos. Thanks!