Wednesday, May 23, 2012

French Dip Crescents


I’m thinking I should create a “crescent roll” recipe category. Or put together an entire week of posts featuring recipes using crescent rolls. I just can’t get enough of those buttery little guys. Joe said jokingly the other night that we never just eat crescent rolls as they were meant to be eaten. I say, why be boring? There are so many things you can do with them, and they’re so easy to work with.

Take this recipe, for instance. I make a version of French dips that’s really simple and flavorful, but I just couldn’t resist trying this version, using crescent rolls as the bread. Not surprisingly, these were a huge hit with my whole family. Finger food and/or food that can be dipped is always a hit with the preschool/toddler set, and these were no exception. I whipped up a very simple au jus using beef broth and onion soup mix, but you could definitely make your own (the one in the recipe I linked to above is delicious).

French Dip Crescents
adapted from Mama Loves Food!

2 packages 8-count crescent rolls
1 pound deli roast beef, thinly sliced
4 ounces provolone cheese, cut into 16 equal pieces
1 can beef broth
1 packet dry onion soup mix

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Unroll crescent rolls onto cookie sheets. Place a slice of roast beef and a piece of cheese on each crescent. Roll up, starting from the wide end.

3. Bake for 13 minutes, or until crescents are golden brown and cheese is melted.

4. To make the au jus, heat the beef broth in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When boiling, stir in onion soup mix. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until crescents are done cooking. Serve au jus alongside the crescents.

3 comments:

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife said...

Yum!

I love crescent rolls. I just made ham and swiss sandwiches with them last night.

Katie said...

Is it sad that I have never had a french dip sandwhich? These look really good thoug so they might just have to be put on our menu next month. Thanks for sharing!

{northern cottage} said...

Hi there Cassie - I'm a Pinterest Contributor for Better Homes & Gardens and have just pinned your french dip crescents as one of my new favs! You can see the pin here: http://pinterest.com/pin/56787645271769478/ on this board: http://pinterest.com/bhg/blogger-recipes-we-love/

mmmm - a great quick weeknight meal right our up alley - thanks for sharing!

xo

http://www.NorthernCottage.net (blog)
http://pinterest.com/northernc/ (pinterest)