Monday, May 21, 2012

Bacon Spaghetti with Tomato Cream Sauce


This is one of those dishes that just sort of came together based on what I had on hand. I had bacon, canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, a little cream, some whole wheat spaghetti, and of course I always have wine...and I just made this on the fly. And man, was it ever delicious. The salty bacon pairs nicely with the acidic tomatoes, and the cream gives the whole dish a welcome touch of sweetness and lushness.

The only thing I didn’t have on hand that I would have liked to use in this dish is fresh basil. That would’ve taken this meal completely over the top. Joe is slacking. He really needs to get my herbs planted!

Bacon Spaghetti with Tomato Cream Sauce

1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
6 strips bacon, diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream
Shredded parmesan cheese

1. Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water according to directions on package; drain.

2. Meanwhile, add bacon to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook to desired crispness; remove to paper towels to drain. Drain most of the bacon drippings from the pan.

3. Reduce heat to medium; add butter and onion. Let the onion cook until it’s translucent, then add the garlic and cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add white wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to pick up any browned bits, and cook until the wine is reduced by half.

4. Stir in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and heat through, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in heavy cream and cook over medium heat until sauce is bubbling and slightly thickened. Return bacon to sauce.

5. Add sauce to pasta and top each serving with parmesan cheese, if desired.

3 comments:

Julianna B said...

I love the way you write your blogs! Yummy, yummy! Looks delicious!!!

Gina, A Hungry Teacher said...

This looks great! I usually have all those ingredients and since I just planted my basil, I'll def. add that in too! Thanks:)

Jason Lesmana said...

Camar4d
Slot Camar4d