Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chicken Tender Melts


I was so excited about this recipe when I saw it show up in my blog reader. I've always been one of those people who, even as an adult, orders chicken tenders at restaurants pretty regularly. I just absolutely love them, and I'd really never thought of putting them in a sandwich before. 

With crispy bacon, breaded chicken tenders, two kinds of melty cheese, and grilled sourdough bread, this sandwich is every bit as good as you'd imagine it to be. It comes together so easily, especially if you use store-bought or frozen chicken tenders, and it's just delicious. I think either ranch or Thousand Island dressing would be the perfect dipper for it. I'll try that next time I make these -- which will be soon. These sandwiches will definitely be in the regular rotation at our house. 

The recipe below is enough for two sandwiches, but I'll be sure to make extra next time so we can have them for lunches.

Chicken Tender Melts

4-6 chicken tenders (from the deli, frozen or homemade)
4 slices pepper-jack cheese
4 slices American cheese
4 strips bacon
4 slices sourdough bread
Butter

1. Cook the chicken tenders until cooked through. Meanwhile, fry the bacon. Drain and set aside.

2. Assemble the sandwich like you would a grilled cheese: butter the outsides of two slices of sourdough. Place on top of one slice of bread a slice of pepper-jack, then 2 or 3 chicken tenders, then 2 strips of bacon, then a slice of American cheese. Top with the remaining slice of buttered bread.

3. Grill over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides, probably about 4 minutes each side.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I love to order these at Perkins, delicious!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

This sounds awesome! Great use for leftover chicken fingers!

TheFitHousewife said...

Oh my, my kids would love this! Thanks for sharing :)

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

These sound delicious!