Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturdays with Rachael Ray: Cheeseburgers with Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam


I think it’s pretty clear by now how much I love a good burger, right? And also how much I love bacon? I thought so. I’m sure you can imagine how excited I was when I came across this recipe in an old issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray. I thought about it for weeks before I put it on our menu, and then I just couldn’t wait any longer. I had to have it. And it certainly didn’t disappoint!

This particular burger is right up there with my favorite burgers ever. The combination of the sauce and the jam on top of the burgers is just so perfect. The Dijon mustard gives the meat itself really delicious flavor, and makes them so juicy too.

The only thing I changed about the recipe was the cooking method. I fried the bacon in a skillet, then drained off most of the grease and cooked the burgers in what remained. It added a smoky dimension of flavor to the burgers themselves that was really delicious. This burger won the People’s Choice award at one of Rachael’s Burger Bashes, and I can definitely see why. It’s amazing.

Be sure to check out Taste and Tell’s Saturdays with Rachael Ray for more delicious recipes!

Cheeseburgers with Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam
slightly adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray

1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
6 slices bacon, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large white onion, chopped (2 cups)
1 1/3 pounds ground beef chuck
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
4 slices American cheese
4 rolls, split and toasted
4 dill pickles, shaved into ribbons

1. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, mayonnaise, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and pepper.

2. Add bacon to a large skillet and cook to desired crispness. Drain on paper towels. Drain all but about 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings from skillet; reserve skillet.

3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the bacon.

4. While the onions are cooking, in a large bowl, combine the ground beef and mustard; season with salt and pepper. Shape into 4 patties. Add to the reserved skillet you used for the bacon and cook to desired doneness. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, top each patty with a cheese slice.

5. Place each patty on a roll bottom, then top with some of the onion and bacon jam, the ketchup-mayo sauce, pickles and a roll top.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

These sound amazing!

Larissa said...

Yum -- that caramelized onion and bacon jam sounds amazing!

Deborah said...

I really do think that Rachael Ray has some of the best burger recipes, and this one sounds amazing. I'm definitely putting this on my to- make list!!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Yum!! Printing this now.