Monday, August 1, 2011

Brown Sugar Peach Sorbet


With only three ingredients and less than five minutes of hand-on time, this sorbet is a dessert I can really get behind. The fact that it's easy and delicious only makes me enjoy it more. And I love how customizable it is -- you can use any fruit you want, brown or white sugar, and a variety things for the creamy element (sour cream, creme fraiche, yogurt, etc.). The method is full-proof.

I've made this brown sugar/sour cream/peach version twice now: the first time with frozen peaches I bought at the store, and the second with fresh peaches that I froze myself. We definitely enjoyed the version with fresh peaches more. It was much more naturally sweet. When I used the frozen peaches, I had to add more brown sugar to make it sweet enough for my and my family's tastes. Next time I make this version (which I will, in addition to experimenting with other versions), I think I'll try adding a pinch of cinnamon too. And topping it with sugared pecans. The more I think about it, the more I want to go out and buy some more peaches to make another batch.

This, right here, is the perfect summer dessert.

Brown Sugar Peach Sorbet
adapted from Food Lush; sorbet recipe originally from Mark Bittman

1 pound frozen sliced and peeled peaches
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup brown sugar

1. Mix together the sour cream and brown sugar. Put the frozen fruit and sour cream/brown sugar mixture in a food processor or blender container along with a couple of tablespoons of water. Process until just pureed and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. If the fruit does not break down completely, add a little more water through the feed tube, a tablespoon or two at a time, being careful not to over-process or the sorbet will liquefy.

2. Serve immediately or freeze it for later; if serving later, allow 10 to 15 minutes for sorbet to soften at room temperature.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Mmm....when I saw what it was, I was afraid that you used an ice cream maker, which we don't have. This sounds delicious!!!

Natalie said...

I made a strawberry sorbet a few weeks ago but the peach sorbet sounds wonderful! next on my list!

Faith said...

looks so easy and tasty! i must try it!

Dental assistant said...

This looks really fresh. I always use fresh fruits when making sorbets. The recipe looks quite easy as well. I am going to try this out soon. Thanks for this post.

Debbie said...

This looks so good. I would love this after dinner!