Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Recipe Rewind: Creamed Chicken over Biscuits


Today is my mom's birthday. She would have been 58 years old today. Even now, five and a half years after she died, I still think about her and miss her every single day. There's so much she's missing -- mainly, of course, my boys growing up...but she's also missing this blog, which is something that she would have really loved. In fact, I'd bet that, if she was still alive and well, she'd be working on this blog with me -- or at least giving me inspiration for it.

But, the truth is -- she is still inspiring me, even though she isn't here. I grew up with a mom who made dinner nearly every single night -- and that is something that I strive to give to my own kids. I wouldn't be half the cook (or the mom, or the woman) that I am today if it wasn't for her. That's for sure.

I posted this recipe in the early days of the blog, but since it's one of my mom's recipes, her birthday seems like the perfect day to repost it with an updated photo. This meal is pure comfort food to me, and something I grew up eating, and something that my boys will grow up eating too. I want them to know her, and aside from the stories I tell them about her, making her food for them is the best way to ensure that. I'm so glad I have food memories of her that I can pass down to them in dishes like this one.

Happy Birthday, Mom.

Creamed Chicken over Biscuits

1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can peas and carrots, drained
1 can creamed corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 package refrigerated biscuits, cooked according to package directions

1. Melt the butter in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and translucent. Stir in chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper, peas and carrots, and creamed corn. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese.

2. Separate a biscuit onto a plate and spread with butter, if desired. Top with the creamed chicken mixture.

6 comments:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I had no idea your mom was gone. I'm so sorry. ((HUGS)) I loved this recipe when I made it and I'm happy you have a piece of her like this.

Abby said...

Such a sweet post. Made me teary! That's exactly why I blog. To remember the special people in my life who taught me to cook. And to make memories with my own children.

Anonymous said...

oh that sounds so hearty and wonderful! yum!

{northern cottage} said...

we grew up with a similar version (swap the cream of chicken for cream of mushroom, add canned peas and a can of tuna) sounds a bit odd but it is really good comfort food!

B said...

Happy birthday to your mom and all of your wonderful memories of her! She lives on through you, your boys, and your dishes you prepare! She'd be so proud of you and this blog, that's for sure! :-) btw, this looks delish!

Desi said...

Aww happy birthday to your mom! I have made this before and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing her recipe with us. Love the updated photo! Thanks for reminding me to make this again.