Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Caramelized Onion, Tomato, and Brie Galette

 

I know it sounds like I’m getting fancy (again! two days in a row!), but I promise, this recipe is so incredibly easy. I can understand how you’d be thrown off by the French word in the title of the recipe. I was, too, and I’ll admit that I had to look up what a “galette” actually is (besides something very very delicious). Basically, it’s just a free-form tart. Fancy French word decoded!

It’s not very often that I just have brie “waiting to be used,” but right before I made this recipe I did, so I was specifically looking for something to use it in when Deborah posted this recipe. It was meant to be. This is my favorite kind of food: simple ingredients, simple flavors, simply delicious.

I loved all the flavors of this galette. The sweet caramelized onions paired so perfectly with the rich brie and juicy, slightly charred tomatoes. I used a store-bought pie crust (gasp!), which worked just fine and was buttery and flaky. (If you want the homemade pastry recipe, just click over to Deborah's site.) I will definitely be making this again!

Caramelized Onion, Tomato, and Brie Galette
adapted from Taste and Tell, originally from The Maine Summers Cookbook

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 pie crust
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
4 ounces brie, rind removed, cubed
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent. Lower the heat to low and cover the pan and cook slowly until caramelized, about 20 minutes.

3. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the pie crust to 1/8-inch thick and transfer it to the parchment paper. Sprinkle on the onions and garlic evenly, leaving a border around the edge.

4. Scatter the tomatoes on top, and then the cheese. Grind the pepper on top and sprinkle on the parsley.

5. Fold the border up onto the filling. Brush the border with the egg and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden.

One year ago: Summer fruit salad with creamy lime dressing

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this is my kind of meal, so making this soon!

Avril said...

LOVE the sounds and looks of this galette! So many of my favorite ingredients in it!!!! Yum Cassie, YUM!!!

Natalie said...

you probably know that i LOVE galettes! must try this one!

Blogger said...

Need To Boost Your ClickBank Banner Commissions And Traffic?

Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your picked ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the available ClickBank products.