Friday, March 5, 2010

Burger and Fries Friday: Jalapeno Popper Burgers

I love ordering jalapeno poppers in restaurants. I love the spicy creaminess of them. But they're a little bit labor-intensive to make at home, and I don't have much spare time to cook these days, so when I get a craving for them I have three choices: 1.) Go out to eat at a restaurant that serves them (not so easy with an almost two-year-old and a two-month-old); 2.) Opt for the frozen variety (not nearly as tasty); or 3.) Use those flavors in another dish in a new and creative way. Previously I made jalapeno popper stuffed chicken, which was delicious and to this day is one of the most popular recipes on my blog. But I'm always looking for other ways to combine those flavors.

Not long ago I came across this recipe for jalapeno cream cheese burgers, and I knew I wanted to try my own version of them immediately. I added cheddar cheese and bacon to mine to make them a little bit more jalapeno popper-ish, and my new favorite burger was born. Joe and I both really liked these. They'd also be delicious with all of the toppings (cream cheese, jalapenos, cheddar cheese and bacon) stuffed inside the burgers. I may try that next time, actually.

The burgers have a wonderful salty-spicy flavor due to the fact that they're cooked in bacon grease that has also been used to quick-saute the jalapeno peppers. The sweetness of the cream cheese is a nice compliment to all that spicy smokiness. Definitely give these a try! And come back on Monday, when I'll share the delicious oven fries I made to go with these. Let me just say, my search for a crispy oven fry is officially OVER!


Jalapeno Popper Burgers
source: inspired by Sweet Tea in Texas

4 strips bacon
2 jalapeno peppers, stems discarded, sliced thin (keep the seeds for more heat)
2 pre-shaped hamburger patties
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter
Garlic powder
2 hamburger buns, split
2 slices cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons cream cheese

1. Fry bacon until desired crispiness; set aside on paper towels to drain. Using the same skillet, saute the jalapeno peppers just until softened, about 2 minutes. Set aside.

2. In the same skillet, cook hamburgers to desired doneness; top each burger with a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce (be sure to stand back when you do this; it may splatter).

3. While burgers are cooking, prepare the buns. Spread each bun with a tablespoon of butter and a sprinkling of garlic powder. Broil until toasted. Slather 1 tablespoon cream cheese on the top half of each bun.

4. Top bun bottoms with cheddar cheese, burgers, bacon, and jalapeno peppers.

5 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

Those look FANTASTIC! I'm sure the fact that I'm on a diet and avoiding such foods helps in the craving that developed as soon as I read the title of the post, but regardless, fantastic. I will have to make those on a splurge day sometime!

Debbie said...

I've been making homemade poppers lately, and you're right...they are a bit labor intensive....My family also loves burgers, so these look like just the thing. YUM!

Monica H said...

Not really a fan of warm cream cheese, but these look amazing. I definitely wouldn't turn one down.

Deborah said...

This is definitely my kind of burger!

Allison said...

These were yummy!