Thursday, March 11, 2010

Broccoli Pie

My endless search (one could call it an obsession, maybe) for new vegetarian entrees has led me to lots of quiches and fritattas. I can't even tell you how many egg-based dishes I've bookmarked to try, but it is a lot. When I saw this recipe for broccoli "pie" (not technically a quiche because there's no heavy cream and not much liquid at all; not a fritatta because it has a crust), I knew we would love it, and I couldn't wait to try it.

We did love it! This comes together so easily and doesn't require much clean-up at all, and it is absolutely delicious too. I loved the creative use of packaged soup mix, which doesn't
taste like it's a mix in this recipe and really adds a lot of great flavor to this dish. Served with a simple salad and some crusty bread, this broccoli pie makes an excellent brunch, lunch or dinner.

Broccoli Pie

source: seen on My Tasty Treasures and slightly adapted from Stacey Snacks


2 cups of steamed broccoli florets

3 eggs

1 cup of whole milk
Dash hot sauce

2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded

1 package of Lipton vegetable soup mix

1 pastry crust, rolled out and fitted into a 9-inch pie plate.


1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and hot sauce together. Add broccoli, cheese and soup mix. Pour into unbaked pastry.

2. Bake on a cookie sheet for 40 minutes at 350 degrees until top is golden. Let rest a few minutes before serving.

5 comments:

Kat said...

MMMM broccoli and cheese are so wonderful together :)

Debbie said...

What a great broccoli dish. It looks soooo good!

Deborah said...

It's true - it's hard to find good vegetarian recipes, especially ones that feel like a main dish and not a side. This looks wonderful!

Lisa K said...

That looks really good. I may have to try that soon.

Lena Baron said...

Thanks these will be fun St. Patrick's Day meals!