Monday, August 10, 2009

BBQ-Stuffed Baked Potatoes

I've seen this idea popping up in a lot of cookbooks and on quite a few websites recently, and given my current continuing obsession with all things barbecue, I was drawn to it. I'd never considered topping baked potatoes with barbecued meat before, but as soon as I saw this recipe I thought to myself, "Of course. What a perfect pairing."

And it really is a perfect pairing. And so easy! This recipe uses prepared store-bought shredded barbecue chicken, something I'd never tried before. I used Lloyds, and I gotta say, I was really impressed with the flavor. You could also used leftover shredded meat (barbecued beef, pork, or chicken would all be delicious) or pick up some take-out from your favorite barbecue place. This was a hearty, delicious, and oh-so-simple dinner for us last week.

BBQ-Stuffed Baked Potatoes
source: slightly adapted from Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast

4 baking potatoes
1 1/3 cups shredded BBQ chicken
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
2 green onions, finely chopped

1. Pierce potatoes with a fork; arrange on paper towels in a microwave oven. Microwave on high for 10 minutes or until done, rearranging potatoes halfway through. Remove from microwave and let cool slightly.

2. Heat chicken in microwave according to package directions.

3. Slice potatoes lengthwise and fluff with fork. Top each potato evenly with chicken, cheese, sour cream, and green onions.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my gosh that looks really good. I have always enjoyed BBQ meat with potatoes whether they were mashed or not. I even sometimes dip them in BBQ sauce.

Creative Classroom Core said...

This looks like a really tasty combination to me!!!