Monday, March 2, 2009

Mexican Chicken Stuffed Shells

I've had my eye on a recipe for Mexican chicken manicotti in Taste of Home's Pasta Cookbook for, literally, years. I finally decided to make it last night, only to discover that, for some reason, my local grocery store "doesn't carry" manicotti shells. What kind of grocery store that wants to call itself "well-stocked" doesn't carry manicotti shells? I was irritated. But I was determined to make this, so I improvised and used jumbo shells instead. There really isn't much of a difference between the two. Both are pasta, both can be stuffed.

This turned out absolutely delicious. The sauce and filling had just the right amount of heat, and I loved the creaminess that the sour cream offered. Joe really enjoyed it too, and it's something I can definitely see myself making again and again! Thankfully, we have plenty of leftovers for lunches this week.

Mexican Chicken Stuffed Shells
Source: adapted from Taste of Home's Pasta Cookbook

1 package jumbo shells
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 small onion, diced, divided
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, divided
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup salsa
2/3 cup milk
Cilantro, for garnish

1. Cook shells according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack chese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, half of the onion and half of the chilies. In another bowl, combine the soup, salsa, milk, and remaining onion and chilies. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.

3. Drain shells; stuff each with a spoonful of the chicken mixture. Arrange over sauce in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over shells.

4. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.

5 comments:

Sara said...

These look so good! I've only had italian stuffed shells before, I like this concept.

Lisa K said...

I have all the ingredients on hand, except the pasta. I do have penne and spaghetti noodles. Do you think I could use those and turn it into a baked Mexican pasta dish?

Cassie said...

Lisa -- I think you could definitely turn this into a baked dish! Just mix it all up together. I bet it would be delicious. Be sure to let me know how it is if you try it!

Donna-FFW said...

Cassie- Fantastic idea. I love it! It looks so delicious!

johnboy said...

You done went and made me hungry and shame on you I just had dinner an hour ago.