Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Egg, Bean and Cheese Burritos


When I’m having a night when I just don’t feel like making the meal I’d planned, I find that the thing I turn to the most is breakfast-for-dinner. Breakfast foods are usually always a hit with everyone (they certainly are in my house!), and the ingredients are ones I always have on hand. Since my family also loves Mexican food (shocker, I know), I thought I’d combine breakfast and Mexican food to make us a quick, easy dinner.

These egg and cheese burritos are so delicious and simple, and you can literally make them with whatever you have on hand. Sausage, bacon, green peppers or chilies, onions, spinach, hash browns...literally, anything. The eggs are scrambled lightly, then mixed with cheese, and rolled in a tortilla along with some refried beans. Bake ‘em until the tortillas are crispy, and dinner’s ready in minutes.

For our version, I used taco cheese – the kind with spices mixed right in. You could also use pepper-jack, or any type of cheese in combination with a little chili powder and cumin. For my sons, I left out the beans (it’s a texture thing for them), and used smaller tortillas to make adorable scrambled egg taquitos. I would have taken a picture of those, too, but they were too busy devouring them. I’m definitely not complaining.

These freeze really well, and they’re so cheap to make. And they taste so good, too.

Egg, Bean and Cheese Burritos

8 large eggs
A few splashes of milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheese, divided
1 can Mexican-style refried beans
4 burrito-size flour tortillas
Salsa and sour cream for serving, if desired

1. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, and salt and pepper. Scramble in a large skillet short of being completely cooked – they’ll continue to cook in the oven. Stir in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.

2. Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a small saucepan with a little bit of water to thin them out.

3. Spread a layer of refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Top with a quarter of the egg mixture and a sprinkling of the remaining cheese, then fold over the edges of the tortillas and roll up burrito-style.

4. Place burritos on a cookie sheet and spray the tops lightly with cooking spray. Cook in a 400-degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until the tops of the tortillas begin to brown. Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.

2 comments:

online pharmacy said...

nothing like a good cheese burrito to start the day! theres no doubt about it.

Anonymous said...

Oh hell yeah!