Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! I've never been a big celebrator of this particular holiday (and when I say "celebrator," I mean I've never been one to go out to bars and drink green beer all day), but I'll take any excuse in the world to make some kind of festive treat!

The idea for these cupcakes came from the website Amazing Moms; I thought the idea of using Dots candies as shamrock leaves was so clever! I was going to decorate some of the cupcakes to look like the Irish flag using orange and green Dots, but I got tired of slicing candy after a while.

For the cupcakes, I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe -- Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate cake. The cream cheese frosting is my grandma's recipe, which is probably similar to most cream cheese frostings; the recipe is provided below. These cupcakes were so simple to decorate, and they're so incredibly moist and festive and delicious. Erin Go Bragh!

Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: my grandma

1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 cups powdered sugar

In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 2 minutes. Mix in vanilla. Add powdered sugar gradually, until frosting reaches spreading consistency and desired sweetness. If not using immediately, refrigerate.

1 comment:

Donna-FFW said...

ssie- They look so cute!! I love them and you are right the hersheys cake is so the best! Ill have to try your cream cheese frosting!