Monday, October 3, 2011

Roast Beef with Mushroom Gravy


It’s rainy, chilly, windy and gray outside today, so it seems like the perfect day to share this recipe, which will warm you up from the inside out.

Believe it or not, I’ve never had pot roast made in the oven. Not once! My mom always made roasts in the Crock pot, so that’s what I’ve always done too. I love the results so much, I’ve never felt the need to try it another way. For this version of roast beef, I decided to add lots and lots of mushrooms, in the form of actual mushrooms, mushroom gravy mix, and cream of mushroom soup. This mixture makes the gravy for the beef, and it cooks right in it, which makes the meat so tender it literally falls apart. It’s so flavorful and so delicious. With a big pile of mashed potatoes on the side, there simply couldn’t be anything more satisfying on a chilly fall day.

Roast Beef with Mushroom Gravy

1 2- to 3-pound beef roast
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 10.75-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet mushroom gravy mix
1 cup beef broth or water

1. In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Season beef roast liberally with salt and pepper. Add beef roast and sear on all sides until caramelized. Add to the bottom of a Crock pot.

2. To same pot, add remaining tablespoon of butter, mushrooms and onions. Cook until mushrooms are brown and onions are soft, then season with salt and pepper. Stir in garlic and cook and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release browned bits. Add mushroom mixture to meat in Crock pot.

3. Mix together cream of mushroom soup and mushroom gravy mix. Pour over meat and mushroom mixture.

4. Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, until meat begins to fall apart.

4 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

I usually make my roasts in the crockpot too but I think I need to give this a try! I love any roast that makes lots and lots of gravy to pour on potatoes!

Allison said...

Ultimate comfort food. Yum!

I have to admit, though, that this is a lot of overhead when I could just throw it into the crock pot...

Heather Ortega said...

That looks amazing and I love to use my oven to keep my house warm so it's just a perfect recipe for my house in the winter. I have never seen mushroom gravy in the store so I'll have to look for some when I do my shopping

Katie said...

Seriously, this looks so good I could lick my computer screen!! We'll be giving this a try especially now that it's cooler and having the oven on won't be a big deal!