Wednesday, September 23, 2009

BBQ Shrimp over Buttered Noodles

Finally, I'm back with a new recipe to share with you! It seems like lately I've been cooking household favorites that I've already posted -- or cooking nothing at all. But I'm trying out quite a few new recipes this week, so hopefully I'll have some yummy things to post!

This recipe for BBQ shrimp over buttered noodles is definitely yummy. And I promise you, that's not just my BBQ craving talking. This was really, really good. I loved the smokiness of the bacon paired with the sweetness of the shrimp, and it worked perfectly served over silky buttered noodles. The best part, aside from the fact that I already had all of the ingredients on hand? This meal only took about 20 minutes to prepare, start to finish. And that is definitely my kind of weeknight dinner.

I've adapted the recipe below to serve two (and a half), but I've also linked to the original, which serves six. Joe and I both really enjoyed this (Andrew liked the noodles, and he loved licking the BBQ sauce off the shrimp), and it will be a repeat in our house for sure. With a simple salad and some crusty bread on the side, this was the perfect weeknight meal!

BBQ Shrimp over Buttered Noodles
source: adapted from Taste of Home's Busy Family Cookbook; original recipe here

8 ounces angel hair pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
6 bacon strips, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 10-ounce package frozen medium shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
1/4 to 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I eyeballed it and, as always, used Sweet Baby Ray's)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic and shrimp; season with salt and pepper and cook and stir until shrimp are no longer pink.

3. Return bacon to the skillet. Add barbecue sauce; cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Drain pasta and stir in butter, parsley, and parmesan cheese until butter is melted. Top with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese, if desired.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Cassie. We would all definitely love this in my house!

Unknown said...

That looks fantastic! So yummy! I remember my husband's winning barbecue recipe last week. The kids loves it so much that they wanted more. We had a happy picnic as a result.

He got positive gas barbecue reviews because of his Texas BBQ Sloppy Joes recipe. He's been doing awesome gas barbecue cooking and he got such material in a gas barbecue sale lately.

Thanks for sharing the fantastic recipe, Cassie! Love it!

Allison said...

This was really good, Cassie! It was our first time making it and we all really enjoyed it!