Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chocolate Truffle Cookies

When I was paging through cookbooks last week trying to decide what I wanted to bake, these cookies caught my eye immediately. They grabbed my attention mainly because of all the chocolate, and chocolate is something that the baby and I just can't get enough of these days. They sounded really simple to make, too, which is always a plus.

These cookies contain no eggs, and they call for confectioners' sugar rather than granulated, so their texture is really light and airy. They have great chocolate flavor without being too rich, which makes it especially hard to eat just one. We loved these cookies, and they were so delicious that I just had to let Andrew try one. He seemed to enjoy it, as I knew he would:


I'm pretty sure these cookies will be making their way into my Christmas packages (yes, I'm already thinking about Christmas. I'm one of THOSE people). They're such a sweet, delicious, irresistible little treat!

Chocolate Truffle Cookies
source: The Taste of Home Baking Book, recipe also found here

1 1/4 cups butter, softened
2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles

1. In a large bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Roll into 1-inch balls; dip one side in chocolate sprinkles. Place, sprinkled side up, 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

3. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields about 5 1/2 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

I was soooo excited when you said no egg!
Because of Miles's allergies I can't eat.. eggs, dairy, soy or peanuts. I have found a few good fall back on deserets but I was soooo excited for this cookie..

untillllll....

i got to the recipe and there was sour cream.. :(

Sad day for me.....

Anonymous said...

Oooo, these look like they go in MY Christmas cookie jars too! I've been thinking about Christmas since August.