Monday, December 26, 2011
Taco French Bread Pizzas
Raise your hand if you’re resolving to eat healthier next year. Yeah, me too. I think it’s a goal that a lot (if not most) people make at the beginning of the year. And I think it’s a great resolution to have. We should all think about eating better, healthier, more whole and less preservative-laden foods. But guess what? It’s not 2012 yet! There’s still time to eat a few more sinful, not-so-healthy dinners. And so, I give you...TACO FRENCH BREAD PIZZA.
Man, you guys, is this ever delicious. You prepare it the same way you would a regular French bread pizza, but instead of topping it with your typical pizza ingredients, you top it with refried beans, taco meat, and tons of cheese. And then some lettuce and tomato, you know, so you get your vegetables. You’re basically eating a taco on bread instead of in a tortilla.
And that, my friends? Is pretty amazing.
Taco French Bread Pizzas
heavily adapted from Food and Whine
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
1 loaf French bread, cut in half lengthwise, then each half cut into thirds (six slices total)
2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
Diced tomato, lettuce and sour cream for serving, if desired
1. Cook ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When meat starts to get a little color but is still pink, add onion. Cook until beef is fully cooked and onion is softened. Drain meat and return to pan.
2. Stir in garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Stir in green chilies with their juice and taco seasoning.
3. Meanwhile, hollow out the center of each slice of French bread (this is so you can fit more toppings in!). Broil just until they begin to brown.
4. Fill each hollow of bread with some refried beans. Top with a generous helping of meat and a generous sprinkling of cheese. Broil until cheese is melted.
5. Sprinkle each serving with lettuce and tomato, and dollop with sour cream if desired.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Okay so we made french bread pizzas for lunch yesterday and when I was getting out the pizza stuff I saw the bowl of left over taco stuff and though hmmm.. but then thought that it would probably turn out yucky so I made cheese pizzas.
Those look so good and I plan on trying them soon. :)
This sounds fantastic!! I have all of the ingredients to try it but the bread. And honestly... I'm so not one of those 'going to eat healthier' people. Healthy is boring ;)
Post a Comment