Friday, December 16, 2011

Homemade Egg Noodles


My grandma made from-scratch egg noodles often when I was growing up. In fact, I can’t remember very many Sunday dinners when we didn’t have them. I never was quite sure what made them so delicious, but I remember eating lots and lots of them. They were one of my very favorite things about after-church dinners at her house.

Grandma always served her egg noodles in a light, buttery sauce with parsley and seasonings. When I asked her recently what kind of spices she used in her egg noodles, she told me it was just poultry seasoning. I was dubious that mere poultry seasoning could produce all that flavor, but the first time I tried making egg noodles myself I made them her way, and what do you know. She was telling the truth. They tasted just as amazing as I remembered.

Now that I’ve made egg noodles from scratch, I can say without a doubt that I will never purchase them from the store again. Making them at home is so simple, and the amazing homemade taste is worth every bit of time they take to make. The chewy texture is incredible. I’ve made these several times now, and coming up on Monday, I’ll share my favorite thing to serve them with so far!

If you’d like the step-by-step instructions for making these, check out the link to Jonna’s blog below. She has some great photos to walk you through the process.

Homemade Egg Noodles
from Get Off Your Butt and Bake

2 cups all purpose flour
3 egg yolks
1 egg
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup water

1. Make a well in center of flour. Add egg yolks, egg and salt; mix thoroughly. Mix in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is stiff, but easy to roll. Knead for about 5 minutes adding additional flour if necessary to make a dough that is not sticky.

2. Divide dough in 3 or 4 equal parts. Roll dough, one part at a time, into thin rectangle on well floured board, to less than 1/8 inch thick. Make sure that your dough is well floured.

3. Using a pizza cutter, cut piece of floured dough into 1/4-inch strips. Then cut those long strips into shorter strips, to the length you desire your noodles. Place cut noodles onto a clean towel to dry, for about 1 to 2 hours.

4. Cook in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes.

7 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

Yay! I've been looking forward to you posting this. There's nothing better than fresh noodles.

Allison said...

Mmmm...something my mom makes for me every time I come home for a meal. I still can't get them quite right, though.

B said...

Way cool! I will have to try this soon! I marvel at your ability to do these amazing things.

Anonymous said...

Poultry seasoning???

sue said...

My mom makes homemade egg noodles like this. After she rolls the dough out and before she cuts the dough into noodles, she lets the dough dry out for a few hours, then stacks the sheets of dough, rolls the sheets into logs and cuts the logs into thin slices to make the noodles. She lets the noodles dry even more and then cooks them in diluted beef broth. The drying helps the noodles soak up more broth while cooking -- more flavor!

Tessa said...

Growing up we'd always have these in homemade chicken noodle soup. Now I am craving them!

Deborah said...

These remind me of my mom's chicken noodle soup. Yum!