Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cheesy Broccoli and Rice

I have a great side dish to share with you today. We actually ate this as a main dish, but I think when I make it in the future (which I will, many, many times) I’ll use it as a side.

This stove-top broccoli and rice dish comes together in less than 15 minutes, and it’s so cheesy and creamy and delicious. I was attracted to the original recipe because I love the combination of broccoli and cheese (who doesn’t?), but when I looked more closely at that recipe, I had to stifle a yawn. Bo-ring! I made tons of modifications to jazz it up, and the end result is truly something delicious that we all loved. This is one of my new go-to side dishes. I could use a big serving right now, as a matter of fact!

Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
source: inspired by Better Homes and Gardens

2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup quick-cooking white rice
1 cup chicken broth
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and fragrant. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2. Stir in rice and cook until the edges begin to brown just slightly. Stir in broccoli and chicken broth. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.

3. Return saucepan to burner. Over low heat, add cheddar cheese, sour cream, and parmesan cheese, stirring just until cheese is melted. Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.

12 comments:

Katie said...

I have never tried making this dish using the ingredients you have listed. I have always just used my faithful jar of cheez-wiz and been done. Maybe I will try out your version someday.

Courtney said...

sounds yummy, i love cheese and broccoli so i bet rice would add nice flavor. you could probably add some shredded chicken for a main dish also.

wonder if it would taste okay with brown rice...and as much as i dont need sour cream i bet it makes it nice and creamy

MaggieB said...

I swear we are really sisters separated at birth! I make a variation of this that my family insists I serve every Christmas! I have always served it as a side dish.

Your readers will LOVE this one! It's kind of like broccoli cheese soup in a side dish form! It IS YUMMY!

Debbie said...

This looks delicious and is one of the best comfort foods. I will have to try your recipe. I know we would all love that here!

Monica H said...

My mom makes a version of this during the holidays but this looks so muchmore moist. I might have to slip this recipe to her. ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I made this using Alton Browns baked brown rice. i browned a chicken breast set aside, fried the onion and garlic in the same pan. Then after turning off the heat to the stove I mixed in fresh broccoli that i boiled for about 7 min in chicken stock and re-added the chicken breast, then the cheese, stock, and rice. It was obviously more work this way. since i had to mix in the sour cream at the end and guestimate on how much chicken stock to add to make the dish creamy enough I had to throw my skillet in the oven to heat it up and melt the cheese for about 15 min at 350. Seems like a lot of changes but essentially the same recipe. It was super good!!!! So thanks, perfect main dish for my husband, toddler, and I.

Anonymous said...

Tried this tonight. My family loved it! Such a easy recipe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I made this step by step and it was incredible !

Anonymous said...

So are we talking instant rice as in minute rice?

Unknown said...

Instant white rice?

view publisher site said...

Delicious. Looks just like the picture, and tastes even better. Thank you for the post.

Anonymous said...

Omg cheese wiz....how have I not tried this? 😂