Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pork Loin Chops with Prosciutto Cream Sauce


It’s Tax Day, a dreaded day in the lives of so many Americans. Hopefully you’re all on the receiving end of funds from our friends in the federal government, rather than on the giving end. If you are on the giving end, though, have I got a recipe to cheer you up. It won’t soothe your pocketbook too much, but it will definitely soothe your soul.


I’ve posted a lot of recipes here on this little blog of mine. Like, about 850 of them. And I’m not fooling around when I say this: This is quite possibly the best dinner recipe I have ever posted here. I first made it years ago and hadn’t made it since. Joe took one bite of his dinner and promptly asked me, “Um, why don’t you make this more often?” And after my first taste, I responded, “I have no idea.”


I will certainly be making this often, monthly if not weekly, in the future. Pork chops are nestled in a creamy, flavorful sauce of prosciutto, sun-dried tomatoes, and sage. Serve them with mashed potatoes on the side so you have another element to soak up the delicious sauce. This tastes like something that came from a restaurant, and it’s ready in well under 30 minutes. You are going to love this recipe!


Pork Loin Chops with Prosciutto Cream Sauce

1 1/2 pounds pork loin chops, about 1/2 inch thick
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces chopped imported prosciutto
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
1 small red onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork. Cook on both sides, turning once, until browned. Remove to a plate and cover with foil.

2. To the same skillet, add prosciutto, sage, and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Add sun-dried tomatoes. Add wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any browned bits, and let the wine reduce. Stir in heavy cream, pepper, and salt.

3. Return the pork chops to the skillet, along with any juices. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the pork is no longer pink and the sauce is slightly thickened.

4 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Oooh, pork on top of pork! You know the way to my heart! I cannot wait to make this!

B said...

LOL, your husband's comment cracked me up, I love it. Looks delish!

Cara said...

I remember when you first posted this recipe because I made it the following week. It is one of my favorite recipes from your blog, and we continue to make it and enjoy it now. In fact, I'm scrapping the pork dish I had planned for this week and making this instead! :)

Cheese with Noodles said...

If you say this is the best dinner recipe on your blog, how could I possibly pass it up?! Adding it to my menu plan for next week. I'll report back!