Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Bunny Snack Mix


I was lucky enough to get assigned the very last snack day before Easter for Andrew’s preschool class, and I just know that his teacher did it on purpose. I always make fun things for his class when I’m assigned a snack day around a major holiday, and this one could be no exception. Talk about pressure! Except, honestly, there really wasn’t any pressure at all, because it’s something I love to do, and I knew exactly what I was going to make this time around.

Enter this Easter Bunny snack mix. It’s simple and delicious, with a nice mix of salty and sweet elements. The multi-colored chocolate drizzle and generous amount of Easter sprinkles make it so festive. Even though the Easter Bunny himself sorta creeps me out (anyone else feel this way?), I think he’d appreciate having this delicious snack mix named in his honor!


Easter Bunny Snack Mix

8 cups popped popcorn (1/2 cup unpopped kernels, or 2 bags of natural microwave popcorn)
3 cups waffle pretzels
1 bag Easter M & Ms (I used dark chocolate)
1 bag Reese’s Pieces eggs (you could also use robin’s eggs or Whopper eggs)
12 ounces white chocolate chips
3 tablespoons sprinkles
Assorted food colors (I used purple, blue, pink, and green)

1. Combine popped popcorn, pretzels, M & Ms and eggs in a very large bowl.

2. Pour all but 1/2 cup of the white chocolate chips into a microwaveable bowl. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments until smooth. Reserve the remaining chips in a small bowl to melt later.

3. Pour the melted white chocolate over the popcorn mix. Add the sprinkles and immediately stir to coat the entire mixture. It’s a little messy, but your hands really are the best tool to accomplish this! Lay the wet mixture out on wax paper to dry.

4. Melt the reserved half cup of chocolate chips in the microwave, then divide the melted chips evenly among four small bowls. Add a drop of purple, blue, pink or green (or whatever color you want) food coloring to each bowl and use a toothpick to stir until it reaches the desired color. Using a fork, drizzle each color over the popcorn mixture. Leave on wax paper to set up, then store it in a covered container until you’re ready to snack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Super cute, I bet the kiddos loved it!!