Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I have been really excited to share this recipe with you. But I can't take credit for this deliciousness; this is actually my husband's creation. Every once in a while he gets the urge to experiment in the kitchen, and I love these urges because they usually result in some pretty spectacular food. It's also nice to not have to cook for a couple of days, although for some reason I still end up cleaning up after him. I'm going to have to remedy that next time.

Recently Joe wanted to experiment with pizza. He wanted to make BBQ chicken and buffalo chicken versions, and since there is nothing about any of those ingredients I don't love, I was completely on board. One night we had his buffalo chicken pizza (which was good, but needed some tweaking, so we're going to make it again soon and then I'll post the recipe), and the next night he made his BBQ chicken version, which we both fell in love with.

This pizza is so good. It starts out with bacon (and anything that starts with bacon is a win, right?), then you add red onion to the bacon and let it caramelize, mix that amazing combination with shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, and a bit of hot sauce, slather it on a pizza crust, and top it with tons of cheese. Sounds amazing, right? It tastes even better than it sounds. This is a great way to jazz up your weeknight dinner menu!

BBQ Chicken Pizza
source: my culinary genius of a husband

1 store-bought pizza crust
4 strips bacon, diced
1 red onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/2 to 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
Dash hot sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to temperature listed on pizza crust package (usually it's 400 or 425 degrees).

2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon just shy of crispy; add red onion and cook until onions are softened and begin to caramelize. Drain mixture on paper towels.

3. In a large bowl, combine chicken, BBQ sauce, and hot sauce; add bacon and onion mixture. Spread evenly over pizza crust. Top with shredded cheeses.

4. Bake until crust is crisp and cheese is melted, according to directions on crust package.

4 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh yum!! I wish we were neighbors! How are you and the little one doing?

Deborah said...

I love it when my husband gets the itch to cook. But he is a throw a little bit of this and that in kind of guy, so when I try to get a recipe out of him, it's impossible! Can't wait for the other pizza recipe when it's perfected!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Cassie and it's always great when the husband helps. My husband is a way better cook than me.

Monica H said...

Yum! I call dibs on that great big piece on the left!