Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies

This cookbook is filled to the brim with delicious-sounding old-fashioned desserts, and out of all the choices, it may seem a little bit odd that I chose to make chocolate chip cookies. But my grandma makes the most delicious chocolate chip cookies, and one of my favorite memories is of going over to her house and curling up with a stack of them (with milk for dunking, of course). She always put walnuts in hers, but I saw this recipe using hazelnuts and I just had to try them. I'm a sucker for the hazelnut-chocolate combo (I believe that I am largely responsible for keeping Ferrero Rocher in business), and once again, the pair did not disappoint me. These cookies have wonderful texture, and they're very good. I'm visiting my grandma tomorrow, so I'm going to take a few of them to her. Of course, they're not nearly as good as her chocolate chip cookies, but I don't think I'll ever find any that are!

Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add gradually to batter, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips and hazelnuts.

3. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Remove to a wire rack to cook. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

No comments: