Monday, January 5, 2009

Classic Chicken Piccata

I'm a big fan of chicken piccata and order it frequently in restaurants. Unfortunately, this particular recipe did very little to blow me away. I can pinpoint exactly what the problems were: the breading was underseasoned, and there wasn't nearly enough sauce. Both easy fixes, which I've already noted in the margins of the recipe, but I'm still irritated with myself for not listening to that little part of me that said, "Only 1/4 teaspoon of salt? You should probably increase that" and "Cook sauce on high for 2 minutes? Won't it all reduce away?" Oh, well. You cook you learn, right? (As a side note, I think this is the worst picture to ever appear on my blog. Spring, won't you come, with your increased daylight hours?)

Classic Chicken Piccata

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian breadcrumbs)
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (omitted)
1/4 teaspoon of salt (I should have used 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1. Place chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness. Place flour on small plate. Place egg in shallow bowl. Combine bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper on another small plate. Roll each breast half in flour, then in egg. Coat with bread crumb mixture.

2. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes. Turn; reduce heat to medium. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Transfer chicken to serving platter; keep warm.

3. Add wine and lemon juice to skillet; cook and stir over high heat 2 minutes. (Seriously, only give it about a minute, or cook the sauce over lower heat, because it will literally reduce down to absolutely nothing.) Spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired.

No comments: