Monday, September 29, 2008

Chili

Hands down, my absolute favorite thing to make in the autumn and winter months is a big, steaming pot of spicy, soul-feeding chili. Andrew and I were out running errands on Saturday, and I was craving chili, so I picked up everything I'd need. When we got home, I threw the chili together and let it simmer on the stove for about four hours. The smell permeated the house, and I can't recall the last time I was so excited for dinner time to arrive! This is my own recipe, and it's my favorite way to make chili. The beer adds a really nice tangy flavor, but if you want to leave it out just add more beef stock. What a way to say hello to the cooler months!



Cassie's Chili

1 pound ground beef
1 pound spicy sausage
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped (leafy tops included)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bottle Mexican beer (I prefer Dos Equis or Corona)
Half a box of beef stock (or 1 can)
1 large can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can chili-ready tomatoes, undrained
1 can light red kidney beans, partially drained
Salt to taste
Red Hot to taste
Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired

1. In a dutch oven, heat a small amount of vegetable oil. Add beef and sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon until the meat mixture is very fine. Season with chili powder and cumin.

2. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Add beer to pan, stirring constantly while the alcohol cooks out to pick up pan drippings.

3. Add beef stock, tomatoes and beans and heat to boiling. Taste for seasoning; add salt and Red Hot to taste and reduce heat to simmering. Simmer to desired thickness.

1 comment:

Tina said...

OM Goodness that looks so good!! I love chili and now I'm craving my moms chili ( no offense lol). Seriously, I need to come eat at your house.